« Home | MEMO » | Gimme a "T"!!! » | привет, я - американец » | Bah...more reasons to hate the season » | It's probably OK to blog about a PAST job, don't y... » | Not that I've been peeking or anything... » | Ladies & gentlemen, I give you.... » | If you insist that I be festive, then here's the w... » | I don't even HAVE a twin sister! Where does this c... » | It's so real »

M'excuser, où la toilette est ?

First, so as to not give the impression that I am full of projects and improvements like Some Ambitious Bloggers, I want you to know that we have a policy at my house. And it is this: Never Do Anything For Yourself That You Can Pay Someone Else To Do.

So yay Ben. You did a nice job on the downstairs bathroom, dude.

OK, next. I have to give you a mental picture of the BEFORE.

The woman who owned this house before us had the entire thing decorated in burgundy and hunter green. Gawwwd...that is soooo Memphis. No offense, if you're house looks like that. I'm sure it's much lovelier than this. She asked in the contract if she could take her window treatments with her and I was all, "Take 'em! Get 'em outta here!!"

The house actually has really nice lines that play well for a very modern decor, which is how we did it.

The walls downstairs are a very, very pale taupe. The half-bath downstairs is about 6x6 square with a very tall ceiling. And she had it papered with 1-inch stripes alternating in....you got it - burgundy and hunter green. It was appalling.

We've been meaning to rip that shit down for about four years now. So when Ben called, trying to collect a little extra holiday cash and asking if we had any work for him, I was all, "RE-DO THE DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM!!!"

The week that we re-did it, I had a lot of other things going on, so Big Daddy actually picked out everything. Thank the Intelligent Designer I married someone with impeccable taste. Really. He's amazing.

He picked a darker taupe for the walls. Then he bought these great white accessories, and a brushed-chrome mirror and light fixture. So nice. All of it goes very well with the modern decor of the main floor. Here's my crappy camera phone images.

Very minimalist. The pedestal sink was already there. We didn't change that.


These cool little 90-degree angle shelves Big Daddy picked out all by himself. Aren't they cool? They're on the wall over the toilet. I put candles on them.


It's kinda hard to take a picture of a light with a crappy little camera phone but I think you can see it well enough.

Talk about Modern: This brushed-chrome can in the corner holds the extra rolls of toilet paper. The actual t.p. holder is that white box. It's sitting right inside of there, if you can't see it. The darker taupe rug is my sole contribution. Because my feet were cold.


Well, that's not true. I bought these cheesy handtowels at Target, too. And that night light - but that's been there for ages. Soap dispenser? That was Big Daddy.

Additional shot of the little shelvy-things. The top candle has candy canes and pine embedded in it - My Kid gave it to me for Xmas last year. I bought the middle candle at a shopping party this year - it's scented "White Hot Cinnamon" and I got four more for My Kid's teachers' presents. The bottom one was a gift from my SIL from Thanksgiving - it's grapefruit-scented.

So that's it. If you're ever in the area and you need to pee, please feel free to drop by and check out my new bathroom first hand.