« Home | We are mourning » | Ready for take-off » | "I want a margarita and I want it now." » | Thus guaranteeing my own permanent spot in the THP... » | Movie Madness » | I'm it! » | Back to reality, oh there goes gravity » | Good-bye, Florida » | A Walk On the Beach » | Day Five Report »

How I embarrassed myself this morning

I realized when I started my new job that there's no Starbucks on my way to the new office. Then I discovered this charming little bistro on my way and I've been stopping there most mornings ever since. It's owned by a couple of East European guys that are really nice. I usually spend a few minutes talking to the guy in the mornings - about the news sometimes, or about business.

It's one of those situations where you kind of get to know someone without ever having an introduction so you never learn their name but then you're too embarrassed to ask because you feel like you should already know by now.

But occasionally when I'm out of cash I'll use a credit card, and I guess he saw my name on there. This morning he asked me, "How do you pronounce your name? Is it Kalisah?"

Most English-speaking people can't get it right, but he actually did.

I figured I could use this opportunity to reciprocate and thus find out his name. I mean, surely he had some difficult-to-say Rumanian name, right?

So I say, "And how's your's pronounced?"

And he says, "Boris."