« Home | Well FINALLY! *rolls eyes* » | Happy Birthday a-week-and-three-days-early to me! » | What you might overhear in a restaurant at lunchti... » | I just remembered why I don't like living in Memphis » | Making up my own meme » | Thanks » | $8 million...now that's more like it! » | Shout Out to my Houston Girls » | All About Boston » | In Search Of... »

The nighttime sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, so you can rest post

Tonight on the way home I heard a report on NPR's "Market Place" about black market flu vaccine.

Look, I'm a flu vaccine advocate. Once, many years ago, before I was married, I had the flu. My roommate and I both had it. At the same time. We laid around in our beds and coughed and hacked and moaned and suffered and bemoaned our lack of loving attentive husbands to care for us in our time of need.

The next year, I said, "Fuck that. I'm getting a flu shot."

And I've gotten one every year since, except one. I was pregnant and thought I shouldn't get one (not so well informed, it turns out). I got the flu instead. Cough. Hack. Sniff. Moan.

Then I went to work at a hospital, where the patients are severely immunodepressed. Even a simple head cold can be life-threatening for them. So the hospital gives us all FREE flu shots. I partook gratefully.

And I never got the flu from the vaccine. That's bullshit. I work with world-renowned scientists and they even told me, "That's bullshit."

So this year, like everyone else, our hospital is limiting who receives the shot. It has to be IN YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION that you have extensive patient interaction. Like a surgical nurse or something I guess.

So no shot.

BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Guys, it's THE FLU. Fever, aches, chills. I know that it can be life-threatening to the high risk groups, but I'm pretty sure there's enough of it out there to cover them.

The rest of us? Deal. IT'S THE FLU. Take some Nyquil and enjoy a few sick days. Can we stop all the news coverage now?

And black market flu vaccine? Please! Find me one person who's willing to buy flu vaccine from some pusher on the street and I'll buy you lunch.