« Home | How to know when you're in a rut » | I need your help, Internets » | A: Neosporin » | Book Report » | Impossible instructions » | I just want to know how it is that one attains suc... » | That's the problem with these things, you gotta wa... » | All the news that's fit to post » | Two Words » | Mariska Hargitay »

The kindness of strangers

I went this morning to pick up some doughnuts for breakfast, and I took Big Daddy's car because it needed gas. Then I spent like a half-hour at the gas station trying to figure out how to get his gas tank open. I'm looking everywhere for the little button that will pop open the door. I'm sitting in the driver's seat searching the owner's manual because I feel like I SHOULD be able to figure this out for myself. Finally I call Big Daddy (in Chicago).

BD: Hello?
Me: HOW THE HELL DO YOU OPEN YOUR GAS TANK??
BD: Huh?
Me (screaming into the OnStar speaker phone): HOW. THE. HELL. DO YOU OPEN YOUR FUCKING GAS TANK???
BD: You just push on the door.
Me (quietly): There's no button?
BD: No. You just push on the door. There's no button.
Me: (hangs up)
OnStar Lady: Good. Bye.

I had no idea they still made gas tanks that didn't lock! In this day and age of $3 gas, who makes gas tanks THAT DON'T LOCK??

So I get out to push open the door and pump my gas. And this truck pulls up behind me and parks. Not by any gas pumps or anything. He just parks behind me. Then he gets out and says, "Is everything OK?" I guess he'd seen me sitting there all this time and wanted to make sure I was all right.

"Yeah..." I say. "It's my husband's car. I didn't know how to open the door to the gas tank! I was looking all over for a button and there's not one," I say, pushing on the door to open it, as a bit of a visual aid.

And he says to me, "Do you dye your hair?"

Wha? But, actually, I just had my hair done yesterday so I thought perhaps he was going to compliment me on how glossy and glorious it looks in the sunlight. But he just says to me, ""Cause you could be a blonde."

That was too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

well... there's nothing to "PULL" on, see. That's why I assumed it was locked. It's just a flat door.

You "PUSH" on one side and the other side pops out.

Post a Comment