« Home | It just gets worse & worse. » | Personal » | Must. Stop. Watching. Coverage... » | Follow-up » | Tell me if I'm wrong » | File this one under "Boys Will Be Boys" » | "They thought we were completely safe" » | Hurricane Katrina is battering my hometown » | 100 Things about Shoes » | There is no way in hell I can limit my quirks to j... »

Today, I cried.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I have taken your advice and have decided to not watch anymore coverage for now. There's nothing new in the news anyway. Last night I had a dream that Big Daddy had a heart attack. I called his hotel room in Cleveland at 3 a.m. to make sure he was okay. I think it has something to do with loosing something (someone) important to you.

Today I signed My Kid up for fall soccer and I took a blouse to be altered. And I feel so guilty. I feel selfish and ashamed that my biggest problem today is that the Burger King drive thru gave me their crappy fries intstead of the onion rings I ordered. And today I cried. For the first time, I cried for all that is lost. The places, the people, the history. But not the memories. The storm can wash away it all but it can't take my memories and it can't take my roots. They're implanted way down deep in that sandy soil. Deeper than the ruin. Deeper than the storm surge. It will always be my home and it may look different and every single landmark I knew may be gone but it lives in my heart and I will remember every detail just as it was. Just the way I loved it.