« Home | He saw the promised land » | Glory Road » | LOST (spoilers ahead) (sorta) » | Q&A's » | Worser and Worserer » | It's De-Lurking Week » | How it got to be Monday ALREADY » | Oh My God, Ya'll!!! » | 2005 wrap-up in leftover camera phone images » | Memphis, 2006 »

Everybody gotta have a dream


In a complete turnaround from the wholesome movie we saw this weekend, I rented Hustle & Flow on Saturday.

I love watching movies that were filmed in Memphis, because I like to locate places that I know. For the record, I did NOT recognize ANY of the places in this film. When Craig Brewer decided to show Memphis from the "lowest of the low," he went all out. Seriously. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been to some of the more respectable strip clubs in Memphis. But those clubs? They're on Brooks Road. Nuh-uh.

I didn't recognize one single shot from that film, except the quick look at Beale St. in the opening. Still, I can assure you that it gives you a true picture. Everything I saw seemed VERY real to me. Just because I never cruised Millbranch doesn't mean I don't know where it is. And what goes on there.

Best line: "You Mormans is some brave motherfuckers."

BRUSH WITH CELEB: When you rent the movie, please notice the scene where DJay is going off to hustle Skinny Black and his buddies are waiting for him at the curb: the lone white boy in the film (DJ Qualls) is wearing a "Lusero" T-shirt. Yeah, my friend at work dates the bass player in that band.

I love me some Memphis connections. If you rent the DVD, watch all the extras....they are allllll about my town.