« Home | Show & Tell » | Again with the shoes » | Help me name this quote » | Update on a couple things » | The photos are up on Flickr! » | Just keep whistling the song from "Fame" » | A Public Service Announcement » | The party was GREAT » | There ARE worse things than wearing flats, like sa... » | If you're a Memphis blogger and you read this site »

I TOLD you my MIL is Doris Roberts on "Raymond"

A couple weeks ago we were having dinner with my inlaws, and my MIL told us that Big Daddy's brother & SIL from California were coming for Thanksgiving. Then she said, "Daddy and I are going to take you all to the Crescent Club - I just can't cook Thanksgiving dinner anymore." And Big Daddy said, "No! We're not going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. We can have it at our house." Then he turns to me and says, "Is that OK, honey?" Well, we never do a turkey anyway - we order a smoked turkey from Corky's. And cooking all the fixings really isn't that much trouble, so I didn't mind having it at our house.

Well, yesterday I was cleaning the house and preparing the menu and getting ready to go to the grocery, and my MIL hadn't ever called and offered to prepare anything, so I thought I should call her before I go. I said, "Will you bring your cranberry jello mold?" and she said, "Oh honey, I'm bringing everything."

Wha...?

I said, "Well that doesn't make sense. I thought the whole reason we are having it here was so you didn't have to cook."

And she said, "I want to."

I tried to talk her out of it but she said that she'd already bought everything.

After I got off the phone, I went and related the conversation to Big Daddy. In typical male fashion, his response was, "Oh good. Now you don't have to do it."

Uh, yeah. NOT THE POINT. It was a shitty thing to do. Agree to have dinner at my house but then bring all the food yourself?? I guess she decided that if a restaurant didn't cook, she'd go ahead and do it herself. You know, as opposed to eating MY food.

SHE. IS. RAMOND'S. MOM.