« Home | I'm in Amsterdam!! » | It is Time » | Uh-oh...well, let's hope my plane doesn't plunge i... » | The Fairy Tale that is my life » | Je ne pas parle francais! » | Tennessee Tiaras » | Summer Reading » | damn roadrunner » | Generation Gap » | Movie Recommendation »

The World Traveler Returns

I'm back!

And I now personally know the definition of "bone tired."

Sorry I couldn't post while I was gone. But I did keep a written journal, so I'm going to catch you up on everything now. Just pretend like it's in real time.

Tuesday, July 20 7:33 p.m. Central Daylight Time (CDT)
Well this just feels like a regular old domestic flight. Except that they boarded a bit earlier. PLEASE do not tell my boss that I was the very last person on the plane.

And then, of course, I had major nesting to do once I'm  in my seat - take my contacts out, switch my shoes for socks & slippers, find my pillow, my book...

The girl next to me is from Austria. Her name is Theodora. She looks like Audrey Tautou in "Amélie." I ask her several questions about overseas flight. I think she's impatient with me.

The plane is different than I'm used to, too. There are light controls on the armrest, but there's no air control. I wish they'd turn on the fucking air.

7:53 p.m. CDT
Well, I may have driven Theodora crazy already. She found a row of seats in the center that was practically empty and moved over there. She claimed to do it as a favor to me so that I could sleep. Who knows? Maybe that's normal international flight behavior.

And this'll blow your skirt up: alcohol is FREE on international flights - even in coach. Cool.

8:45 p.m. CDT
They're serving dinner & I'm still awake. I'd totally planned to be asleep by now. I am pretty drunk though. Could there BE anymore microwaved carbs in this meal??

12:30 a.m. CDT
I awake to the captain's voice over the cabin intercom saying "Seatbelts, please." Are we landing? Near as I can figure, I've been asleep about four hours. My sinuses are swollen and I'm so dehydrated. I hope I can go back to sleep. I stretch out across the two seats in my row and I'm very grateful that Theodora decided to move.