« Home | Soulsville (updated) » | In need of some techie guidance » | My Valentine » | On his tombstone, they can say "He scared the beje... » | I don't know how stay-at-home women do it! » | Something you should know about me (it's gonna com... » | It's snowing! » | 1-3 inches on the ground » | Carmen, I may have to re-think the whole SCHEDULE ... » | I have some Grammy questions »

In need of: a religious scholar

In light of the winter storm warning, I made Big Daddy take me to the book store tonight. My last trip to Barnes & Noble ended up highly disappointing - only one of the three books I bought was any good (one was so bad I couldn't even read it) and that was The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It was beautifully written - very lyrical and passionate and I learned so much from it, which I think was her intention. Thanks god for the big world map behind my desk, because my African geography? Not so hot.

Several times the book references the "Apocrypha." Now, I grew up Mormon, as you know, and we had our own additional scriptures but this? I've never heard of. The storytellers (the daughters) say that their father, the pastor, believed in the Apocrypha, much to the dismay of the Baptist leaders. When I looked it up on Wikipedia, it was all so technical and confusing, but it sounds like it's an addition to the Catholic Bible??? Is that true? Why have I never heard of this? And anyway, the pastor in the book didn't like Catholics, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.

If you know anything about this, please comment now. Thanks.

PS - Snowboard Cross is the funnest sport ever added to the Olympic games! Whoever came up with that, I'm betting they were high at the time.