« Home | I can not say this emphatically enough: » | This is why people make so much fun of soap operas » | After the tour » | Does it really matter what you wear to work when y... » | Things I probably wouldn't understand even if some... » | It's a Christmas Miracle! » | I'm much too young to feel this damn old » | Life Lessons from America's Next Top Model » | My New Favorite Word » | Driving Forward - The Lessons Demo »

Enough already.

If there's one thing that really rubs me the wrong way it's exaggeration used as a tool to impress me.

It does not.

Marketers can be THE WORST. We have an excellent case study in this going on right now with the approach of the American Idol finals. It has gotten completely out of hand.

First, there's the television ads on Fox. They are touting this as "The television event of the year!" Wha...? It's a silly talent show. With people in the audience holding homemade signs. I've seen pep rallies that were bigger "events." The Oscars. The Superbowl. The Red Sox winning the World Series. These are "events." AI barely rates above a "trainwreck."

Now, the folks from one of the drivetime radio show here have gone out to LA to report LIVE! From the AI Finals! Woo-hoo! Two loudmouths from Memphis, Tenn., are sitting in an empty Kodak Theater at 4 a.m. California-time reporting on how there are "tons of celebrities everywhere!" for this "event!" Dude, there is not one single person even remotely associated with AI that I would consider an A-list celeb. And I've been to LA. Contrary to popular belief, there are not celebs just flooding all the streets everywhere you go. And I seriously doubt that Ashton & Demi are going to show up for the finals. Brad & Angelina? Better things to do, I'm sure.

It's American fucking Idol, guys. You can tone it down a notch or two. Seriously. I'm not buying.