« Home | I adore daffodils » | A Tiger Haiku » | A special 'HELLO' and welcome to Michele's readers! » | I bet is was from Rosie's blog » | Three technical question » | This is going to be one of those bare-my-soul-I-de... » | A recipe for you » | What I did this morning that has been the ONLY goo... » | Shelley Update from Holland! » | The Girls from work »

Note to NPR: Bite me.

This morning on my way in to work, I heard this story on Morning Edition about medical readiness in the National Guard. Renee Montagne intro'ed the story with this:

The American fighting force in Iraq includes 49,000 citizen soldiers from Reserve and National Guard units. But thousands of others stay home, declared unfit for duty due to inadequate health care before they're mobilized.

Among them is Scott Jones, 34, of Columbus, Miss. A 14-year National Guard tank crewman, Jones is desperate to serve in Iraq, because he'd double his civilian income as a handyman and get full family health insurance -- leaving him, his wife and their six children better off than before.


Oh good. A soldier from Mississippi with six kids. I don't think I've heard this story before.

I wasn't 60 seconds into the story before I realized that this report had more Southern stereotypes than "Sweet Home Alabama."

Let's see...
  • Honeymooning at WalMart? Check.
  • Rotting teeth? Check.
  • Trailer home decorated in a NASCAR theme? Check and check.
I lived ages 11-19 of my life in southern Mississippi, and granted, I was just Coast Trash so what would I know? But deep south is deep south and I am proud to report that:
  1. Big Daddy & I spent our honeymoon on a Caribbean island.
  2. I have all of my own teeth.
  3. I live in a brick home.
  4. I don't watch NASCAR and my home is actually decorated with fine art.

I'm just so disappointed that NPR couldn't also work in a poignant scene with Reese Witherspoon in a coon dawg cemetery.