« Home | The Most Disturbing Xmas Gift » | Duh-duh-duhhhh! » | Company Xmas Party » | Media Bias? » | The upside of PR » | MILE.STONE » | Who voted on this thing? » | Pardon my disappearance » | From this vantage point » | The End of an Era »

Dream Kalisah*

Last night I dreamed that my friend - my roommate before I married - and I were going off to boarding school together. I think we must have been high school-aged. When we got to our room, it was FULL of pieces of huge, old furniture. Most of it was monstrous and heavy and pointless and we spent the entire dream facing the challenge of moving out the pieces that we wouldn't need and selecting four beds, dressers, desks and night tables - one for each of the girls who would live in the room.

Some of the furniture was very dark wood, some of it was painted white, some light green and some pale pink.

There were other subplots and challenges as well - the third girl's father who smoked in the room, a giant rat that chewed the head off a little dog, a mean-spirited girl who drew all over the side of my face with a bright blue makeup pencil while I was touching up my eyeliner for the school dance.

But most of the dream was about moving out all that old, unneeded furniture.

* When I was in high school, I used to sleep with the radio on. Once I woke up in the middle of the night and heard Cheap Trick singing what I swore were the lyrics "Dream Kalisah."