« Home | Five Worst Oscar Moments » | Top 5 Oscar Moments » | Be patient » | Five male singers whose voices make me melt » | I have a restaurant recommendation for my Memphis ... » | Things you discover when you no longer go to work » | Five foods I've never tried because they simply do... » | HA! » | Oscar Update » | I just read High Fidelty so you're probably going... »

All Hail Memphis Music

Geese Aplenty is such a funny writer and he had a great Oscar write-up, including these notes on Memphis' Three 6 Mafia in which he even has a dig at Celine Dion, my least favorite Ruth Buzzy-look alike:

Thank God for “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp.” I grant you, it’s no feminist manifesto. But usually the nominees for best songs are sung by some big-nosed Canadian for a Jim Cameron movie, or some bald nightmare from the ‘80s doing a Disney ballad. At least this song has a little juice.

Wait, it has too much juice for the Oscars. They’ve swapped out the word “bitches”: “You’ll have a whole lot of witches jumping ship.” Suddenly it’s a song about Harry Potter. Oh well, at least it won.